Sunday 2 October 2011

Deaf by Design Reflection

When I first read the article, Deaf by Design, my first impression was that wanting to have a child to have a “disability” was insane. I reasoned that it would be hard for Deaf children to be able to communicate with other children who could hear (not to mention a lonely childhood). They would be discriminated or at least people would pity them for being Deaf. And when they grow older, they would have trouble finding a career as communication is very important in today’s society. I really believed that being Deaf was one of the worst things that can happen to a child. However, after watching the documentary, Sound and Fury, I learned that the Deaf had their own small community. They are able to form intimate relationships easily as they share a common characteristic.In addition. The documentary coupled with the discussions changed my opinion on the issue. Now I believe a child should be given a choice whether to stay deaf or to get hearing implants, whether to be happy in their Deaf community or to be able to form a link between the hearing and the deaf. Because no one wants to be forced to do something (in this case to get hearing implants or not).

The article can be found here: Deaf byDesign

No comments:

Post a Comment